The use of information is limited by certain rules and laws under which information processes take place. Here is more about information rights management.
What is information rights management?
One of the consequences of the impact on the modern world of globalization and informatization, the rapid development of information and communication technologies is the formation of the so-called “information society”, in which knowledge and information become key resources of development. Processes and changes associated with the formation of the information society, of course, dramatically increase the social importance and role of information relations and information activities, which, in turn, leads to a significant increase in legal regulation in this area.
Information law is one of the most dynamically developing branches of law, which is based on the legal regulation of social relations arising in the process of searching, receiving, transferring, producing, and disseminating information. In other words, information rights management technology is designed to protect information from unauthorized access.
Even the usual permission to read the file makes it possible to print information from the file, copy and view the contents of the file, not to mention the fact that the file can simply be overwritten under a different name in the area of the file system where the user has elevated privileges. The task arises to control the actions of the user, as well as control the copying and distribution of protected information, making it impossible to extract information outside the field of action of the services of the data access rights management technology.
The method of legal regulation affects the choice of methods for establishing the rights and obligations of subjects, the degree of freedom of action of subjects within the framework of a legal relationship, their legal status about each other, as well as the possibility of using certain means of protecting the subjective rights of participants in a legal relationship. The access right is implicitly granted to the owner or creator of the object.
Information rights management in the Virtual Data Room
Virtual Data Room is a solution that allows you to manage the regulatory and reference information of an industrial enterprise using uniform tools, approaches, and methods for working with data.
What does data access control technology on the Data Room offer? There are the next options:
- grant information access rights granularly. For example, if read access is provided, then printing and copying the contents of the file will not be possible, screen copying is also blocked;
- to expand the perimeter of information protection in the organization beyond the local area network. If information leaves the service of the central data access control server, it becomes unreadable. Of course, this feature is achieved using encryption;
- to register all attempts to access documents, as well as successful use, at a single point. Centralized management is especially valuable in large organizations;
- to block access to the document at any time, at the request of the management, or on suspicion of compromising the user;
- the use of the technology itself must be transparent to users. The less the burden on end-users, the more effective the protection will be.
Information rights management gives a great advantage in the deployment of systems that allow the protection of information both when transferring a message from one user to another, and the construction of a set of technical measures aimed at protecting clearly defined and formally fixed documents containing information of limited access, or being informed of limited distribution. Access is granted to a user or group to perform functions such as fetching data, adding new rows, or updating data.